Thursday 15 October 2009

A'O'K - STYLE

Its been a while... For a host of reasons I have been offline for a while, the main one being that my laptop died about 6 weeks ago (RIP). Yesterday I became the proud new owner of a brand new Macbook Pro. Now, this is a music blog so I don't want to harp on too much about Apple but this is one sexy machine and I can't recommend it highly enough to everyone out there, but I am sure you don't need me to tell you that.





I have for you today the aptly titled 'Style' by A'O'K off West End (1984). I can't tell you much about them, This was thier only release and I can only guess that they were one of a string of 'one hit' groups, that were made up of session players in and around New York in the early 80's . I heard this track a while back and kept an eye out for a copy to come available in the U.K so as I didn't have to fork out an arm and a leg for postage. It happens to be one of the few West End 12"s not to get U.K distribution so is a bit harder to find than some others. After about 6 months or so one popped up and I nabbed it. When it arrived in the mail I was delighted to see it had nine and a half minute instrumental on the flip (the vocal version is 5:40). It's a percussive led number with subtle yet hypnotic bass, and layers and layers of relentless synths. I can't decide if I prefer the vocal or the instrumental so I am going to post them both and you can decide for yourself. I would like to have heard a Scientist style dub that incorporated some more of the vox, but hey... we can't have it all can we!


A'O'K - Style by Mr. Smith


A'O'K - Style (instrumental) by Mr. Smith

P.S I have to shout out to Bobby Hands for keeping this blog alive over the last couple of months.. Nice one Bobby!

No comments: